AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Software tool - measuring Trimble CMR+ quality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

sondrup
Posted 10/11/2008 09:10 (#479847)
Subject: Software tool - measuring Trimble CMR+ quality

Hi all,

Does anybody know if it possible to log the CMR quality with a 252 doing RTK connected to a laptop. I would like to log the signal quality with ref. to the gps coordinates. I know I can connect the AGremote program and see the signal strength, but can I log this data agianst a position?

ex.
I have some basestations broadcasting CMR+ in hilly conditions and would like to know where I have to use repeaters before the season starts in the spring. I would like to drive in the area and afterwards use the logged data in Google earth or a similar program.

Has anyone been doing something similar or know if it's possible?

Regards Sondrup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jacob Bolson
Posted 10/11/2008 09:20 (#479853 - in reply to #479847)
Subject: Re: Software tool - measuring Trimble CMR+ quality

Hubbard & Decorah, Iowa
Lance's software tool may be a good starting point:
http://www.lefebure.com/software/

He posts on here (mx270a).
sondrup
Posted 10/11/2008 18:26 (#480050 - in reply to #479853)

Thanks for the link, it seems like a good tool. Is the CMR quality logged in the Nmea string? I can't find any information of this. Does anybody know what the trimble people use if they monitor a signal from a basestation?

sondrup
mx270a
Posted 10/11/2008 23:37 (#480296 - in reply to #480050)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I haven't played with RTK. Which NMEA sentence contains the CMR value you want to log? What do you want to do with that data - find the average or something?

My test software collects position data (via the RMC sentence) for some amount of time, then finds the center position of all the points, then finds the distance between each point and that center point. Those distances then get sorted to determine the distance of Sigma 1, 2, and 3. I usually do 24 hour tests.

-Lance
torn
Posted 10/11/2008 21:08 (#480141 - in reply to #479847)

roaming
There is an option in AgRemote to log data, but I'm not sure exactly what is logged. Would be worth a try, though. You can turn on the option in the "Connect" window.
raider2b
Posted 10/11/2008 23:01 (#480257 - in reply to #480141)

North Dakota
Trimble makes a piece of software called csgtestsuite. try a search on the internet. We got it from our Trimble rep.
sondrup
Posted 10/12/2008 04:18 (#480369 - in reply to #479847)
Subject: RE: Software tool - measuring Trimble CMR+ quality

My idea was to log the CMR quality % and age of the signal when driving a arround the basestation to get a "view" of the holes in the coverage of the basestation(repeaters needed). When I have logged the data I would then like to import it to a program as Google Earth or similar to show the coverage percentage by colour or similar on a map.

I have a 252 with radio module and mount on my car, so I just need to find a suitable software for doing so. I have tried with the Ag remote, but I can't info that I can log the CMR quality? I have also seen the CSG testsuite from the trimble website, but I haven't any information on how the text log is created and if it's possible to load this data in to a program to display it visually?

Does the NMEA string contain the CMR %, I haven't been able to find documentation for this?

Hope you have some good ideas on how to solve this issue.

Regards Sondrup.
DG N. AL
Posted 10/12/2008 10:00 (#480455 - in reply to #480369)
Subject: I don't think NMEA contains CMR%

Hillsboro, AL
NMEA-0183 Messages Guide for AgGPS Receivers
mx270a
Posted 10/13/2008 21:17 (#481638 - in reply to #480455)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yeah, it's unfortunate that they didn't put that info in a NMEA sentence, even if they had to make up a new one. The OmniStar XP/HP convergence distance also isn't available via NMEA. Only way to get that out of a Trimble receiver is to communicate via TSIP, which is an open protocol. I looked through the white papers on it, and I'm not real interested in coding that at this point. It is a very long document.

I have a Trimble 252 on OmniStar HP, and I must say that the NMEA output from it isn't very efficient. I'm getting RMC, GGA, GSA, and GSV at 5Hz. (The box runs out of processing power at 10Hz) The GSA and GSV are for satellite positions, and they don't need to be anywhere near 5Hz, as the data is mostly the exact same over and over. Those could be reduced to once per minute, or when ever there is an change.
Mister_T
Posted 10/13/2008 15:13 (#481385 - in reply to #480369)

Netherlands
There's also a program called WinTX/RX. This program is quite similar to CSGtestsuite. It displays the type of CMR that you receive and the time, but I'm not sure if logging is possible.
sondrup
Posted 10/16/2008 15:20 (#483844 - in reply to #481385)

Where can I find the program called "WinTX/RX". I tried google, but no luck.

The trimble people must be using a similar tool to log the signal strength?

Regards sondrup
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)