AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pickups and Farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 12/6/2016 07:43 (#5679281 - in reply to #5679156)
Subject: RE: Pickups and Farmers

Southern Pa.
thefarmers - 12/6/2016 07:42

I would agree with this. But even though they aren't living on welfare now, they may very well be when they get older. Probably not as much a problem for a farmer, but I think a lot of people that work in town spend everything they have, and then some. They think about today only, and then when they are old and retire have nothing, and some one else gets to support them because they spent all of their money.

x1000. I don't have a problem with someone driving a new/nearly new vehicle if they truly can afford it. But too many people I see running around in new vehicles are the ones who are behind in other bills. Sometimes they take forever to pay the Custom Combine operator. (In this case, Yours Truly) So, yes, I do have experience with some of this "illusion of wealth" .Have a good customer who runs around in an old beater. Always pays his bill promptly. To see him you would think he is on the poorer side if age/condition of vehicles would be a true indicator of wealth.

Some years ago a large tract of land came up for sale in our immediate area. It was a large Orchard operators retirement auction. The real estate consisted of hundreds of acres, complete with a LARGE cold storage facility, packing house, etc. It was split into multiple tracts.

Of course all the "wealthy" farmers were there in their new pickups, talking about who they thought would buy this tract or that tract, hoping they could buy the tract that bordered them, etc. etc. My customer was also there, driving his older beat up Chevy pickup. After all the bids were in on the individual tracts, and it was all thrown together, only one of the bidders could bid anymore. It was in the millions.

Want to guess who the successful bidder was? This gentleman DID NOT even visit with his banker prior to the sale. FACT.

Nobody was laughing at his pickup when he left the sale.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)