AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Generator vs alternator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 12/5/2016 22:17 (#5678853 - in reply to #5678392)
Subject: RE: Generator vs alternator

Faunsdale, AL
He may mean a 140 watt converter. Still going to require 10-15 amps from the generator or battery @ 12 volts to keep up with the full 140 Watts.

Light strings might not be that much or maybe they are.....should be able to get some specs or just use an amp clamp or kill a watt unit to test them plugged into utility power. The inverter power may confuse an amp clamp since it's usually a square wave instead of a nice sine wave. I don't know if the little kill a watt units handle square wave inverter or not.

Solutions as I see it......

gear down and rev up the engine.....if the generator is working that should help.

Alternator conversion with a smaller pulley. Depends on the belt size, if a standard automotive belt about 1/2 inch wide, I know you can get ones that are about 2".

PTO rigs with pully selected to spin the alternator with the tractor idled down. Something like an ACE pto centrifugal spray pump with an alternator in place of the pump. It would take some fabrication skill to marry up the two. If using an AC output pto alternator, you need to turn it at the specified input rpm so it makes the correct voltage and frequency of power without damage to the regulator/exciter. This will about rule out a standard PTO shaft drive AC generator since you might as well just gear down and rev up to make the tractor 12 volt generator put out enough.

A small engine driven AC generator. The inverter units are very quiet at a low load like a few strings of lights. Put some load on and it will get louder! That's where quality shows, the good ones are still pretty quiet at full load.

Edited by ccjersey 12/5/2016 22:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)