AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Generator vs alternator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jholland
Posted 12/5/2016 19:30 (#5678287)
Subject: Generator vs alternator

middle ga
I did my local Christmas parade last Fri night and about 45 minutes in my lights went out. The same thing happened two years ago. I had the generator checked out and they told me the voltage regulator was bad and replaced it. I don't run the old Oliver much so I fully charged the two year old battery before I left for the parade. Last year no problem so I thought I was good to go. Really sucks to have your lights go out in a lighted parade. Took a second battery with me for Sat night's parade and sure nuff 30 min in and they went out. Switched to second battery to finish. I am using a small 140 amp converter and only 4 strands of lights. Another club member told me to trash the generator and go with a small 40 amp alternator. Steiner sells one for 177.00 to fit the Oliver. He also said you have to really rev the engine for the generator to charge which we don't do in a parade. Would like to keep the tractor original but don't want to be embarrassed again. Any ideas as what is going on?

JHolland
MiddleGa
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)