AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P&K or not after liming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 12/5/2016 18:52 (#5678141 - in reply to #5678104)
Subject: RE: P&K or not after liming?

Bourbon,Indiana

Scott87 - 12/5/2016 19:37 Have 80 acres no-tilled going to corn next season, 55-60 CSR, that was in the mid 5's to very low 6 Ph that I had 2 ton of lime spread early November. The soil samples weren't bad but agronomist said Ph was to low for fertilizer to convert or release. So I had the lime put on ($52/ac) and now I'm trying to pencil the inputs of P&K. Looks like it'd be $7080/ac VRT for the full rec's, don't have the actual numbers. I've got it rented for many more years (Lord willing, my dads farm). Corn has been 180-200bu and beans in the 50's, happy with the corn but beans need a push. Was gonna do a dual injection when the Nh3 was to be applied but weather shut that down. So I'll probably pull gas my self next spring and have dry put on this winter. Should I skip a year? Do a 80-80? Wish I had more exact fertilizer numbers required to share the info with ya all. Just looking for some advice on these dang inputs for the coming year.

How fine was the grind of lime? If it was a fine grind of limestone, it will react much quicker. And if you have had any rain in the past month, it most likely has done "most" of the work of neutralizing the acid already( at least in the top 0-4" of the soil). Think about Rolaids or Tums. They work pretty fast don't they? Same thing is happening in the soil with lime. It will take longer to adjust the soil below though.

Second....the more acid the soil.....the quicker the reaction of the lime to neutralize it. I have some data somewhere in my fertility folder which shows this. Basically, if you add a ton of lime to a 4pH soil, and a ton of the same lime to a 6pH soil.....the lime will react faster in the 4pH soil (more free H). I'll try to find that sheet.

Third... I had a field similar to what you are describing. Low pH's and low fertility levels. I spread lime first.....then started spreading large amounts of fertilizer. I did split the difference on the dry fertilizer though....mainly as a way to cash flow things better. Instead of spreading a huge amount up front, I split it by 12 months.

My opinion.....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)