AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How you make Seed vs. CP Decisions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 12/5/2016 21:56 (#5678806 - in reply to #5677719)
Subject: RE: How you make Seed vs. CP Decisions

McLeod County, MN
gettingsmarter - 12/5/2016 14:34

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AgTalk -- as a poster, anyway. I have been following along for a few months now and I've really enjoyed hearing how you guys feel about different things and the occasional joke or two. I live in MN, I work in advertising (on a big Ag account), and while I don't personally come up with clever taglines or anything, my job is to help the people who do so better understand farmers.

Most of the time I'll just be following along threads and enjoying the witty comments here and there -- trying to soak it all in. Today, however, I have a question for you guys.

How do you approach Seed decisions differently from CP decisions? Is one easier than the other? What information sources do you use for each?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you ever have opinions on advertising you see from brands that you love/hate or if you have questions about marketing, feel free to ping me. Just don't be too hard on me. :)

I take it you are working on the Syngenta Brand? All the clever tag lines and commercials, etc wont help you better connect with farmers. If you want to connect with farmers on seed you have to get corn that yields well, stands like a champ late into the season, can perform well through adverse conditions and doesnt cost you a fortune. If you have that you can condition a farmer like one of Pavlov's dogs. In the absence of those things you better have a damn smooth talking dealer, a dsm that stands behind the product when it falters/fails, or really cheap prices.

Farmers get their information several different ways. There is the guy that will do whatever the coop says, there is the guy that will research everything 10 times before he pulls the trigger, there is the guy that needs to have the latest and greatest of everything, there is the tightwad that will skimp by with as little as possible, there is the guy that will do whatever his buddy tells him, there is a guy that likes to experiment, etc etc etc.

As you can see its a moving target. Way to hard to lump us all into a few categories. Experience, profitability, farming methods, climate, weather can all influence decisions from year to year.

I can say that most of us probably like to make a little money and have good looking crops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)