AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gotta dog for that...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/5/2016 13:21 (#5677560)
Subject: Gotta dog for that...

south east Indiana
Decided this was the week to get the rest of the lambs gone. Hired a guy to haul them, he said 8:00 am. Ok that didn't give me much daylight so sorted the final bunch yesterday. Took one ram out of the pasture with the ewes, He was none to happy to be asked to leave the girls but Meg didn't ask nice but once. I knew he would be a bit of a pain so had to use the big guns to convince him that he should comply. He was not solo for long, added 2 older ewes, one with a bad bag and one with a shoulder problem to keep him happy overnight. Sorted out 6 from my working pen and added them to the bunch leaving. Zeva and I sorted out 3 of the smaller ewe lambs moving them to the working pen with 3 others serving their time as dog training stock. All the ram lambs and weathers have been hanging out together so nothing to sort there.

Send Scott to gather the two bunches and have them waiting while I set up panels for an alleyway/loading cute, sheep are much easier than cattle.

Trailer pulls in at 7:56 as I am finishing up putting last panel is place. Had not met this gentleman before,Todd, he was recommended since the other people I have used were not available. He pulls up to barn, gets out and meets me. Shakes my hand - I think of the thread from several days ago :) , way to woosie of a handshake. Backs up to the panels opens trailer doors. I say I have to get one more dog, already had Scott out since he gathered earlier but wanted Meg since she is a bit pushier. Bring her out of the barn and into the loading chute. Todd hands me a buggy whip that was leaning on the side of the barn, I dropped it on the other side of the panels. He hands me another with a funny look, maybe he was thinking I had a favorite one.

I dropped it outside the panels also not thinking to much about it till I saw his face.
"Oh "I said," I will not need those, Thanks - Gotta dog for that." That is when I thought about NAT for the second time today. No rattle paddles, whips, or flags needed Just a couple good dogs and a bit of patience.

I do use the buggy whips as an extension of my arm, for training the dogs mostly, so I do not have to take so many steps, really do not think the whips alone would have much effect on wool sheep. My dogs move faster and read sheep better than I could ever hope to.

Send both dogs to bring the sheep into the alley and asked them to go around pushing the group up to the trailer opening and hold them there. The sheep were surveying their options, didn't have many - into the trailer or over two dogs and panels. Usually if you wait just a minute and let sheep see their best option is on the trailer it goes smoothly. Asked Meg and Scott up a few times, a few sheep jump on then off then everyone heads on , give the final 2 a boost up, close the doors. Todd says " that was easy."

Put both dogs in the barn, Todd and I chat for minute and he pulls out. He was here for 16 min. Yep easy.

Edited by denice.r 12/5/2016 15:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)