AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is hair removal on a calf a concern in cold weather?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 12/5/2016 14:03 (#5677605 - in reply to #5676665)
Subject: RE: Is hair removal on a calf a concern in cold weather?

Faunsdale, AL
Bad idea to put a large foreign object (cotton) into the open sinus following dehorning!

The process by which it would ever get out of there (rotting while creating a foreign body reaction) is not a good thing for the calf! If you wanted to have to catch and repeat the trauma of dehorning for the calf, you could pack the sinus with a strip of roll gauze that could be removed completely, but I would not do it. That would make a terrible chronic infection in the sinus if it was forgotten. If you want to do something, glue a cloth patch on with tag cement like folks do for pinkeye. That will reliably fall off in time with only the loss of a little hair.

Practiced at a vet clinic in the hills of Tennessee where it was standard procedure to cauterize the site, smear it with pine tar and then stick a wad of roll cotton padding OVER the hole. I believe it was mostly to make the owners feel good. Never saw a problem after I left there and quit doing that. I am sure that cotton covering didn't last much longer than it took to drive them back home from the clinic, but it didn't create a problem for the calves.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)