AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The beauty of wrapped baleage in a northern winter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/4/2016 20:16 (#5676270 - in reply to #5675668)
Subject: RE: The beauty of wrapped baleage in a northern winter

Driftless SW Wisconsin

mafrif - 12/4/2016 17:16 This is my first year with bale age. I was wondering, does the net wrap freeze to the bale and make it hard to remove? I'm finishing up my oat bale age then onto the grass clover bale age, that should be really nice stuff.

I have not had any problem getting the netwrap off wrapped bales as far as freezing goes. That is a huge advantage compared to dry bales sitting outside in the snow or worse yet freezing rain and then ice. 

Netwrapping baleage bales to be wrapped is FAR better than using twine as I did my first year with wrapping. The twine blends in with the baleage and the sisal starts to partially decompose...a pain to get it all off.  Removing netwrap is a breeze compared to trying to take twine off a wrapped bale.

Taking netwrap off takes just about a minute per bale which is time well spent as far as I'm concerned. Just have a good sharp utility knife, old style, with no slot to catch. I use a retractable blade utility knife that I can carry in my jacket pocket.

The thing about this grass/legume baleage is that part of the bottom of the bale tend to fall off, like stalk bales, when you take the netwrap off. A bit falls down on the ground but the cows like it so much they almost always clean up any dropped while taking netwrap off or putting the bale in a feeder.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)