AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2047 Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 12/4/2016 13:58 (#5675306 - in reply to #5675202)
Subject: RE: 2047 Farm

South Central Iowa
No, farmers will be necessary. Not to be condescending or anything, but maybe they could use the AI and nano technology to fix my furnace or make it where my transmission didn't go out. We have had furnaces and transmissions for eons. Those items and many more break routinely and at their core have not been much improved for decades. Articles that you read that describe those items as well as other things like self driving cars are hyped up in order to generate clicks. There is no skepticism at all in those articles. The "inventions" and "breakthroughs" are taken at overhyped face value. Farmers understand how much reporters and newsmen understand about our industry when they report on it; ethanol, cow flatulence, chemical safety, etc. Those people do not understand anything about agriculture and it shows in their writings. Do you really believe they know anything about these other industries? The answer is definitely not.

My favorite one is self-driving cars. This will not happen. People can make a car that drives on its own, that I don't dispute. They can not make one which can safely drive on its own. The number of sensors, potentiometers, radar, and satellite links as well as the amount of computer hardware and software creates far too many links in the chain to fail. And they will fail but not alert the master computer correctly. And people will die because of it. In fact I don't believe they will be less accident prone than human driven cars; EVER... Would you trust your RTK machine to take you down the road? I barely trust mine in the field. Now imagine there are hundreds of these machines within feet of each other traveling 70 mph and we have all the sensors that are in our tractors, planters, combines, and sprayers combined and multiplied by 2 and if any of these 100's of sensors in these 100's of machines fail, we could crash or our car could stop us abruptly making all the other cars stop around us.... Now throw in a slush snow fog with wind like a lot of the middle west got today.... The idea that these machines will ever see a full rollout is frankly one of the dumbest things I can imagine. The deaths and lawsuits and general unreliability, maintenance costs, and upfront price have already killed them and should; it's one thing to die because of human error, another to die of machine error.

Edited by Conan the Farmer 12/4/2016 14:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)