AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2017 Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 12/6/2016 08:13 (#5679358 - in reply to #5674715)
Subject: RE: 2017 Farm

northern MN

I have thought too that rural america elected our incoming pres but i am not sure that has given us clout... I dont know about the rest of you guys but i believe we need to get back to limiting production in some shape. Perhaps by limiting whatever subsidy to base acres of commodity produced? The wide swings in market prices are killing the traditional farm. The coc farm or Soy/corn guy doesn't have the same issues. Here... we need a rotation, not so long ago i looked at becoming a soy/corn farm. With not one change my net income in 13 had the opportunity to double. BUT, Sugarbeet made the rrv, walking away from 75years of growth seems a little short sighted. As it turns out I was right to stay the course, but i lost 35% of my land in the process. The high flyers came in thinking corn was the new wonder crop here and increased rents, doubling them in many cases. Yes we can raise corn but the market doesn't want it. $.75 basis takes all potential profit, yet some still think big rents and large scale are the future.

My thoughts on new ag bill;

limit subsidies to base acres planted but modernize the price...

limit federal crop indemnity's to  $2mil and maintain the premium subsidy. 

tax subsides for land owners who rent to young or beginning farms that have qualified operating plans. 

Revitalize the sensitive land retirement programs. 

Edited by thor 12/6/2016 08:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)