AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Invisible dog fence questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

LakeRat1
Posted 12/2/2016 22:18 (#5672152 - in reply to #5670969)
Subject: RE: More Invisible dog fence questions

Concordia Parish La.
There are 2 different kinds of elect dog fences, the one that I call Invisible has no wires in the ground, they work in a radius of the power supply, I think 90 ft. max

we had one of these for a number of years, worked ok, our yard is about 3 1/2 ac. and we decided we want to give our dogs more range, That's when we went to the in ground dog fence, this wire only has to be just under the surface, we used a edger to cut a shallow trench, the wire does not have to be in the ground, It can be on a fence, our back yard, backs up to a Lake, I just ran the wire in the water (laying on the Bottom/ Mud ) about 20 ft from shore, that way the dogs don't try any swim out into the lake, but they can go to the water edge, >< for either type fence, you need to mark the Boundary with a flag about every 20 ft. most kits come with white flags

so yes either type fence will work in snow, as for the age of the dog, yes you can train them very quick, turn the unit on the Dog collar to Highest number, get the dog on a leash, have some treats, such as hot dogs or something the dog likes, walk the dog into the area, when it gets hit, he will go nuts, get the dog back away and settled down, give it a treat, now go to another area of the fence, same thing, now head to another area, I Bet you, when the dog sees those white flags it will not want to go >< Now turn the dog lose, after a week or so remove ever other flag, then in a week or so you can pull them all up, the dog is trained,

we have 3 dogs that stay home, a Lab, Catahoula Cur & a small Boston Terrier

all of our units came from Pet Safe, we ordered it on line, If you go with the in ground type fence, take the Option for the heavier Gauge wire, ours has been in service for 5 years, only problem I have had we me cutting the wire, I found the brake, fixed it & back in service,

we have one area where I could not dig a shallow trench, I bought a cheap 50 ft hose, ran the wire though the hose and there it lies under some hedges, >< you can also fence in other areas with the same system >< I did not want the dogs in my shop, I ran a twisted pair from the main line, to the shop, place a wire around the shop, now the dogs just stand back a watch, >< to keep the wire in the shallow trench, I cut some old 1/8th welding rods in half, them made a staple out of each piece, I placed one of these anywhere the wire was wanting to ride up, once the grass roots grown back, you want see it any more

hope this helps

When I showed the Lab. the third place in the yard with flags, He Say Hell NO >< I Got IT
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)