AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AMD vs Intel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 11/29/2016 21:08 (#5665643 - in reply to #5664674)
Subject: RE: Thanks to all

Glenwood, Mn
Current amd offerings are pretty old technology. Amd made the mistake in that they opted for more cores vs. effiency and clock rate. Meaning unless you are using software with multithread capabilities, most of Intel's offerings will be better suited. It's a lot more complex than that but it's the general idea about it.

Amd rethought their process and have the new "Zen" cpu being released in January. Almost a full five years after the FX was released. 40% more work done per clock cycle than previous model. 8 cores with 2 multithread per core (16 total). That's a beast no matter how you slice it.

Fwiw, I am an amd fanboy as they call us. I always liked the underdog. I would not build a desktop with today's offering "bulldozer or pile-driver" cores (Fx) though. The Zen is supposed to be a good cpu but it only meets Intel performance.. albeit at half the cost. But it isn't released yet and you can guess there will be some hiccups when it does show up.

I own a machine shop and cad design business. I build or buy all the computers. We run a variety of machines for cad and cam programing. The cam can utilize all 8 cores so we use amd for that. That's an amd fx8350 with liquid cooling. The rest we run I7s because of better single thread performance. I7's will actually out perform the amd by a good margin on single threaded applications. Most CAD programs are single threaded. To be honest, the I7s will keep up with the cam but I had an excuse to reuse one of my pile-drivers and put liquid on it. Reduce, reuse, recycle ;)

When the Zen is released, I will probably build a new PC based off that for CAM but I don't expect it to beat Intel's highest offering... It's just half the money so why not? We are talking $500 cpu vs $1200 cpu

Amd used to be known as the heaters. Intel has now taken over that realm with their fastest CPUs out now. The Zen is supposed to have a 95w tdp which is actually really efficient for the amount of work it's supposed to put out. I'll still put liquid cooling on it....

The reason you see deals on amd is its old technology and they are cleaning out inventory for the upcoming release.

Even though it pains me, my vote is with r boss. I7 6700k if you need to go somewhere fast.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)