AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting internet out in shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 11/29/2016 18:22 (#5665068 - in reply to #5664915)
Subject: RE: Getting internet out in shop

Central Nebraska

midwest - 11/29/2016 17:29 Maybe I haven't been clear enough. I'm not looking for linking type system. I think that's been addressed pretty well. I'm looking for a system that can broadcast a wifi signal to cover a wider area.

Ok. What are you considering a "wider" area.  Are you talking a few hundred yards or a mile or 5 miles?  Realistically, if your trying to connect mobile devices to a wifi network a few hundred yards is going to be the maximum usable distance off a single antenna.  Maybe a 1/4 mile if conditions are right.  The problem your going to run into is that your mobile device is going to be able to receive the signal from the access point but not have a strong enough radio to communicate back to it.  If your just trying to network your yard a picostation on the top (maybe half way up) of your grain leg will probably work buy don't expect blazing performance when you get several hundred yards away.

If what you were wanting to do was easy and reliable we all would have done it a long time ago to reduce our exposure to 3g and LTE data.  The cellular networks have put together very reliable systems but they have a tremendous amount of infrastructure in place for it to work.  Additionally, I've never seen them use an omni directional antenna as they are too susceptible to interference and are inefficient.  Every cellular tower I see has antenna arrays of 3 or 4 radios creating a circle.  They use multiple channels in their specific frequency and coordinate them to avoid overlap.  Also, every time the industry has come out with a newer, faster offering they've have to build more infrastructure.  Faster speeds generally require narrower channels and also don't penetrate foliage as well.  Their transmission distance is much shorter as well.  Hence the reason we tend to see cellular towers every few miles near major roadways.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)