AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anybody pulled the plug on health insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 10/26/2016 07:08 (#5600574 - in reply to #5600321)
Subject: RE: Has anybody pulled the plug on health insurance?

nw NC
I dropped insurance 4 years and 9 months ago when I turned 60, as it went up substantially and I could no longer pay it. I started putting the amount of the monthly premium into savings for each month of the last 4 years 9 months. Since Obamacare was instituted there is no doubt that the premiums for me would have become astronomical and impossible to pay. I started SS at 62 and wife started the same month at her age of 62y 8m . We live on that, as farm income has been low as I down sized and discontinued dairy.

We are healthy and pay any medical expenses out of pocket. This includes vision, dental, prescriptions and routine scheduled yearly wellness checkups or requested-by-us office visit to doctor. By paying at time of service, charges are discounted 40% from charge that would have been claimed to insurance. Had we had insurance , since any deductible would not have been met, we would have to had paid the full amount to doctor for said service, plus been out the amount of premiums. Had we kept insurance we would be in the poor house due to paying premiums. Saving each month, just the amount of monthly premiums of the year I turned 60 , has accumulated to a nice amount in near 5 years.

Only two more months for me until Medicare. I have faith I will make it.

Edited by WJKEIGER 10/26/2016 17:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)