AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed corn prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 10/25/2016 21:55 (#5600216 - in reply to #5599835)
Subject: RE: Seed corn prices

King City, Mo
wahlfarms - 10/25/2016 19:51

To much emphisis put on seed corn. All corns are good. Why not put more into soil health and fertility. I can tell you a 79.00 bag of conv corn will raise 240-250 bushel corn. Just as good as a 400.00 bag of corn. Seems like too many people have bought into all they hype in the good years. Pump your fertility up and build up the micros and any corn will yield good. I've even seen mixed seed corn and it out yeild the high dollar corn.

I like to save money and put it towards fertility or improving the farm some other way like tile or dirt work.

My yields have been topping out at 236 as its becoming a ceiling for me.

I hate corn pricing.

It's too high.

It's too complicated.

Every hybrid does have its weaknesses. I work for a seed co and do the plots. I had 138 trials of corn at my house this year. I once again had plots average around 200 so the fertility is there to feed the beast.

Take a hybrid like A6408vt3. It does well in my plot in the ridge and its one of the "priced to move" hybrids on the sheet. I'm not going to suggest that for a customers poorly drained bottom soil as he's not going to be happy with it come harvest. He would be better off with a Flavor of A6499 as it would be a better fit but the price tag isn't as attractive as I'd like it to be. To me placement on some hybrids is key.

I tried the cheap corn on eBay in 2015 and took a big yield hit in the plot with it. I tried some less expensive brands of corn this year and some were good and some not so good.

I would like to know more about the $79/bag corn and would like to get ahold of some gallon ziplock freezer bags of it for the 2017 plot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)