AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you always suppose to give money/gift for funeral
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 10/25/2016 17:15 (#5599606 - in reply to #5599268)
Subject: RE: Are you always suppose to give money/gift for funeral

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Funeral homes I have dealt with do charge for their services, as they have a right to do since it is a business. However, the charge to put the obituary in the newspaper is what the newspaper charges. Some may but I have never had personal knowledge of a funeral home charging extra for that. Also, the charge for opening and closing the grave is usually something that is charged by the cemetery, not the funeral home. Those kinds of charges are things over which the funeral home has no control. If you choose to do so the funeral home will include those things in the price of the funeral but they don't keep that money. They pay the newspaper and the cemetery. If you choose to do so you can deal directly with the newspaper and the cemetery. If you go that route you will not/should not see those charges on the funeral home bill. I happen to know for a fact that the Clarion Ledger in Jackson, MS charges an outrageous amount for an obit.

Another charge that does not go to the funeral home is for a hairdresser for the ladies. In this area, whichever hairdresser the deceased normally used will usually go to the funeral home to do the hairdressing. Whether or not there is a charge for that service and the amount of the charge is up to the hairdresser. That may not be so common in other parts of the country.

Also, not funeral home I have ever visited has ever charged me for parking.

Another thing that is common, at least among some religions, is that the family is responsible for paying the preacher. The funeral home will act as a conduit for that if it is asked to do so, but the only time I have ever received a check from the funeral home was when the family requested that my honorarium be included in the cost of the funeral. The funeral home then cut me a check for that amount.

I don't know about other preachers, but I have never "charged" anyone for performing a funeral or a wedding, although I have been paid for providing that service. I have never said to a family that "You owe me $X.00 for my services at your loved one's funeral." I will admit that most of the time the families have been very generous to me. But there have also been a few times when I incurred some expense and received $0.00 reimbursement.

Your experience "there" may be different.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)