AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you always suppose to give money/gift for funeral
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

The_Owl
Posted 10/25/2016 10:12 (#5599182 - in reply to #5599042)
Subject: RE: Are you always suppose to give money/gift for funeral

Watford City, ND
monse - 10/25/2016 08:31

Is it always expected to give a monetary gift to a family in sympathy card even if you know the deceased had funeral prepaid and family is not financially short of funds? I know that may sound like I am being cheap, but the family was really not in need of the funds and I think it would have been given right back to church in form of memorial gift. I opened my heart and wrote a genuine message in a sympathy card about the person which is really hard for me to do sometimes (not just the "sorry for your loss" typical one). Including a money gift at the time seemed to "cheapen" the sympathy message that I was trying to portray. What is everyone else's opinions on giving for funerals?

My dad passed away last Dec 7 very unexpectedly. Around here, money in cards is very much the norm. That being said, I couldn't tell you who gave what, but I damn well remember every letter and note that we read. A meaningful story/letter is worth a million times more than any money.

Like another poster said, stamps are a very good idea. Other things we saw is people would write there RETURN address inside the card (or on back) and some even supplied the thank you card envelope. (Envelopes get lost!!). Basically, you could tell who had gone through the process before of having to write 1,200 thank you's!! Lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)