AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any of You Spoonfeed DAP?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 10/25/2016 21:21 (#5600103 - in reply to #5599016)
Subject: RE: Any of You Spoonfeed DAP?

I don't know if this graph will help you or not

nutrient uptake

I'll add the following comments:

a) Even though the chart shows minor levels of uptake early in the season, it is probably more important to have some P close to the roots when the corn is just emerging. Of course you know this, but this is just a reminder.

b) Phosphorus can be tied up, so if you are going to spoon-feed your phosphorus, you may actually get more efficient use.  Whether it is worth the extra time is a different question. However, since you are going to be making multiple applications for your nitrogen.......   it may be a moot point.

My understanding is that phosphorus tends to move when soil P levels are high - which you don't say if your levels are high or very low.  And I would expect phosphorus to move when soils are coarse - which you do say you have.

If you do this, you might want to consider tissue sampling bi-weekly throughout the season, at least this first year, to see what is happening in the plant as you spoonfeed, and to make sure you don't get into a situation where the plant becomes nutrient deficient.  Just a thought.

It might also be interesting to pull soil samples at normal depth, and then at a deeper depth, to see if you are having P move down through the soil profile......Maybe something like: 0-6", 6-12", 12-18", and 18-24", or something along these lines......I would do this field, and a field with a heavier soil, to see if there are differences.  Again, just a thought.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)