AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tornado trash
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/25/2016 15:37 (#5599521 - in reply to #5598971)
Subject: RE: Late 60's

southern MN
Wikipedia says the Tracy tornado was one of only 2 F5 ever recorded in Minnesota.

Some tv news of the day coverage of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjuqiq1T2g

It really cut the town in half. Just ground up buildings to dust.

My folks didn't travel much, but a week after they took a tour up there to see the damage. Took me along. I didn't really know what I was seeing, but I can still see the images in my head. Houses just gone, could see through the middle of town. I will never forget what the old brick school building looked like, it was just ground down to a pile of bricks. Just unbelievable. That image is in my head.

My wife is from Tracy, they were in the basement. A roof from 2 houses away went over their house and landed in the lawn. The total destruction was a block away. She has a very healthy interest and respect for weather. Her dad was in the police/ambulance/civil auxilery - not sure of the proper term. She says they didn't see him for 3-4 days, everyone who could was helping out.

The '98 tornado from Cambria to St Peter was only an F2, but it traveled nearly 70 miles on the ground, passed fairly close to me, 5 miles or so. Unbelievable power in those things.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)