AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me what's wrong with this hay seeding scheme.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AVP_Matt
Posted 10/25/2016 16:30 (#5599567 - in reply to #5598721)
Subject: RE: Tell me what's wrong with this hay seeding scheme.

Hennepin, IL
Gonna agree with other posters that frost seeding alfalfa won't work as well as you'd like. Tried it into some standing rye for a pasture seeding, everything came pretty well except 0% of the alfalfa in the mix. We ended up no tilling alfalfa into the stand that august (not my idea as it ended up being too thick to graze like I figured), ended up with a good alfalfa stand with the grass none the less. Another problem you'll run into is seeding brome with wheat, the wheat will settle out of the brome pretty quick and once you're down to the brome, it'll be a fight. One of the reasons we don't even mess with brome for hay anymore. Not sure if orchard grass would settle or not, I know it'll settle out of alfalfa but it does take awhile. A little agitation every once in awhile solves that. Wondering if maybe you took the brome out of the equation, seeded orchard grass with the wheat, then broadcast alfalfa and clover a little later in the spring. Only other issue I can see is volunteer wheat choking out the alfalfa. Not sure what to do there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)