AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your obituary
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 10/24/2016 17:44 (#5598022 - in reply to #5598015)
Subject: RE: Your obituary

Mississippi

I once read an obit about a man who was a rural mail carrier, avid collector of odd things and someone who had helped with local Boy Scout activities when I was in high school.

His obit was fascinating and told of things he never talked about, including how he had captained a troop ship at the Normandy invasion.

I saw his son at a reunion and said how much I'd enjoyed reading his father's obit. He chuckled and said, "Dad wrote it himself to make sure we didn't leave out anything worth mentioning."

It's probably not a bad idea to pen something like that and let people know where it is, just in case. My mother-in-law always said she wanted me to write her obit. That was one of my duties as a young man with various newspapers. I should have stopped on one of those occasions and said, "Okay, what do you want in it?" I had to piece together so much after her death and, according to her 2 remaining siblings, it was all correct to the best of their knowledge. But I could have used a rough draft.

In the newspaper biz reporters often write obits years ahead of the deaths of notable people, just so they've got facts contemporary to given time periods. A woman I worked with in Mississippi went to work for a newspaper in Dallas and spend half her time updating those obits on file for future use.

As for me, I would like it noted that I once taught a trick to a cat. It shows a degree of patience. 80

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)