AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no rain- no wheat pasture......feed mix for calves?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

versatile875
Posted 10/23/2016 20:42 (#5596751)
Subject: no rain- no wheat pasture......feed mix for calves?

Western OK
we got a little bit of a late start sowing wheat because of the worms, some of our neighbors had to spray twice on early sown rye but most wheat sown middle of September just had to be sprayed once. so anyways we got a lot of wheat up but it needs a rain to make pasture. so now im on plan b or c or whatever..... gotta feed calves..

here's what im thinking-
Iv'e got several places that have cover crop from the summer left(not completely grazed off) with volunteer wheat/rye/cheat/joint-grass coming on. put them on there to "pick" around and feed them daily also.

for feed-
1)round bales Bermuda grass and plains Blue-stem hay, also got lots of wheat hay but it seem like calves try there darndest to get beards in there eyes!!! so im not going there
2)probably close to 2000 bushels of oats in the bin

i called the closest feed grinding place-30miles away- they will mix cracked corn for 7.78 a hundred in with my oats or they have milo for a dollar less.
im thinking drive a wheat truck half full of oats down there and do 50%oats 25%cracked corn 25% cracked milo. put that mix in my trip hopper and work them up to 1% of body weight. also keep rings of grass hay out and mineral just like for wheat pasture. will this work? thanks guys
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)