AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Duct work cleaning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kawartha
Posted 10/22/2016 00:45 (#5593867 - in reply to #5593645)
Subject: RE: Duct work cleaning

Our 2 story home was built in 1990, ducting had never been cleaned during our 16 years living here, cats and a dog in residence, have had a non-functioning electric air cleaner for many years, very cheap generic filter only.

Long story short the original ducting was deficient so decided to replace the original HVAC systems and install new ducting throughout.

I fully expected to find the old galvanized ducts to be chuck full of dirt but surprisingly they were in pretty good shape. The only duct that was NOT replaced was the cold air return (vertical duct with short horizontal cross-over in upstairs hall ) to the second story and that was the ONLY duct that required cleaning which I was able to do myself from the basement end, that one was nasty.

Considering we have pets that live with us I'd thought about hiring a duct cleaning outfit in past years but turns out it would have been pretty close to a waste of money. We trashed all the old ducting but it wasn't dirty at all with the exception of that cold air return. In future I plan to clean that return duct myself every so often.

I realize this was a totally different situation to yours but I just thought I'd share my surprise at how clean that ducting was.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)