AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tired of farming 1970s style, need help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wompass
Posted 10/21/2016 09:07 (#5592798)
Subject: Tired of farming 1970s style, need help

I am a beginning farmer and work with my family in some of the most unproductive and irregularly shaped ground in Iowa. Almost everything we farm ranges from 5 to 25 degree hilly slopes with ditches, erosion, fingers you can barely turn around in, terraces meant for smaller equipment that do not line up with the next terrace for a straight pass and horseshoe terraces where passes need to be curved alongside it. I've been getting discouraged during this years harvest seeing things like entirely missed unplanted areas, 6 row to 12 row overlaps in the end rows, skipped areas on our 6 row shutoff, large gaps on a lot of pass to pass curves and almost constant overlap on the last row of each pass.

We could benefit from so much but its overwhelming trying to make a decision when it feels like we are 20 years behind, money being tight, equipment we need and don't have and there being so many options for so many different things and generally just getting confused about how these systems work together. I don't know know where to start. Go with whichever manufacturer's guidance system, retrofit our mechanical planter for variable rate and active downforce for our varied soils and individual row shutoff or try to trade it for a newer planter. Figure out how to get planting information into our sprayer's gps to be able to autosteer between rows (which I imagine is possible) and figure out how to integrate something into our combine later for yield mapping. It would also be nice to find a GPS solution to redo our terraces as well, but I'm getting a head of myself.

How can I integrate, lets say, Precision planting's systems into a manufacturers autosteer for indivdual row shutoff? Overwhelming.

Our current rig is a Kinze 3600 12/23 chain driven. I would deeply appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)