AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need to spray a new grass seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Claymore
Posted 9/27/2016 19:36 (#5552183)
Subject: Need to spray a new grass seeding

Late last fall a landlord asked that I dormant seed some cropland to grass.  The seed they supplied was 50% wheatgrass (two types), 25% sideoats grama and 25% blue grama.  Last spring was warm and dry, so the grass did not establish well.  We have had very good moisture since late August, so there is another flush of grass seedlings that should help fill in the gaps in the stand.  The problem is that there is a thick stand of Canada thistle, plus dandelion and winter annual mustards.  We haven't had frost yet, but this is North Dakota, so it is overdue.  I think we have 2-3 more weeks to spray before the spraying window closes.  I would like to use Milestone tankmixed with 2,4-D, but that will injure the newly emerged grass seedlings.  I have decided to just try to suppress the weeds this fall and then hit it with Milestone next summer after the grass is better established.  Some herbicides that were suggested to me are dicamba, Huskie, bromoxinil, Express and Harmony Extra.  Would a low rate of dicamba and Harmony Extra be safe on the grass?  I don't think the owners want to spend the money on Huskie.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)