AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working job off the farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 9/28/2016 19:34 (#5553955 - in reply to #5551358)
Subject: RE: Working job off the farm

Mid-Michigan
It took me 31.7 years to leave my job. I am now a full-time farmer (truck a little on the side). During that time, I bought and paid for my 300 acres. I cleaned it up. I picked the stones. I tiled it. I helped my dad on his 900. I've worked my ass off. Its been hard. My wife is just into her 33rd year. She probably has one more left. Its been hard for her also. We have three great kids. All have 4 year degrees and jobs. To live the standard of living that we (my wife and I) do, the off farm jobs were (are)essential. We live a very good life. My retirement check comes like clockwork every 26th day of the month. My Roth and 403b continues to grow. Very little of my standard of living has been due to farming. I have never paid much for ground yet it has been very difficult to pay for. I will never inherit a ton of land or money. The only way I could see myself getting anywhere was to work two fulltime jobs (town/farm). Trying to sell corn for $4, wheat for $5 and Soys for $8 just wasn't going to cut it for me. Good luck with your decision, but if I were you (I was), I'd stick it out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)