AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working job off the farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sj3788
Posted 9/27/2016 20:33 (#5552346 - in reply to #5551358)
Subject: RE: Working job off the farm

swohio
To me, one of, if not the hardest thing I ever did. It was not by choice. Worked at a place for over 22 years. Ok pay, good benefits. Company was sold to another department store chain. Choice was to stay and get cut to $10/hour with that being the max they pay. Really? So took buyout. Have been farming fulltime since 99. Has been a lot of good times, but more bad than good. Farming part is great, other factors now are becoming very troubling. Health insurance at top of list. Just got notice that it is going up $160/month in Dec.. Wife is stay at home mom. Do you have kids? Are they still at home? I was at 4 weeks of vacation when let go. It is easier for me now because there is no way I could deal with 5 hours sleep a night. Lot easier when your 40 or younger. I didn't grow up on a farm, but lived in the country and started raising sweet corn when in high school. So started with nothing. Long hard road. At this house, no new cars, trucks, farm mach.. Everything older, but in great shape. Wife doesn't mine older cars. Her Caravan just turned 216,000 miles. When working full time off farm and farming, much easier to go buy newer stuff. Not now. I didn't have a choice at work, but didn't go find another daytime job either. Loved the farm. Insurance wasn't a problem back then either, now a BIG problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)