AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

From my daily newspaper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Thurd Ferguson
Posted 9/27/2016 07:29 (#5551273)
Subject: From my daily newspaper

Columbia, MO
Living near a university town, I see this attitude a lot.

Letter to the Editor:

Editor, the Tribune: Your Sept. 14 Associated Press report on climate change convinced me that no president or world leader would have the temerity and integrity to advocate for curbing humanity’s voracious consumption of beef, which together with the milk and egg industries combine for the unchallenged leading culprit responsible for the bulk of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, water pollution and rain forest deforestation.

Raising animals for food is behind up to 91 percent of the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, aka the “lungs of our planet.” Animal husbandry is also the foremost contributor to air pollution (cows produce a lot of methane), ocean dead zones, habitat loss and species extinction of fauna and flora alike. For instance, it takes more than 11 times as much fossil fuel to make one calorie from animal protein as it does to make one calorie from plant protein. With increased per capita meat consumption and animal agriculture and an ever-growing world population consuming animal products, we can only expect to see more deforestation in the future.

Science already has diagnosed the disease, but Barack Obama’s quixotic, if not hypocritical, battle against coal is not the remedy. It is we the people who should independently resolve to reduce considerably our meat intake, if not to eliminate it altogether, and invite the president (and his successor) to do likewise … or else we allow climate change to soldier on.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/meat-c...

I copied and pasted cause the paper only lets you have limited free access, I hate that.

I have an extra Beef! It's what's for dinner bumper sticker I might mail this guy.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)