AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DOT sitting up at elevator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

kagen
Posted 9/20/2016 22:24 (#5540401 - in reply to #5540266)
Subject: RE: Run legal and its not a problem. nt

Panhandle of Ne.
I can handle the over gross weight tickets as, has been stated before, here in Ne. we are allowed 15% over or 92k lbs. That is plenty big of a load. What I have a struggle handling is the over axle weight tickets. We load the beet trucks driving through the field and there is no way in heck that you can axle out a load on the move. We rarely get an overweight gross ticket, but the DOT knows, even had one tell a driver that he knows when he stops a beet truck that they won't axle out and he is going to give a citation, that it is impossible to axle out the correct weight per axle while loading on the go. I've invited many DOT officers, politely, to come out to our field and show us how to load properly so we can axle out. Haven't had any takers yet. We've received citations with a 78k gross load that couldn't axle out. Many many citations on loads in the mid to upper 80's gross that wouldn't axle out.

We've had DOT officers stop and weigh trucks on a main busy hiway in the lane of traffic. I checked with my insurance agent and asked him who would be at fault should someone run into our truck while sitting still on a busy hiway and he said we would. That's when I called the DOT captain in our area and told him how unsafe to the driving public, my driver and the officer that this was. He said that the officer had the jurisdiction to do so and I told him even though it might be legal it isn't real intelligent. Quite obviously he wouldn't agree with me, but we never had anymore trucks stopped and weighed using this method.

I am not in any shape or form against LEO, but, sometimes when they are given a badge, gun it makes them do stupid things because the law is on their side.

I've suggested to the governor and local senators that they should offer a over axle permit for $250 per truck per season and they declined the suggestion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)