AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil sampling gps recording equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 9/16/2016 13:37 (#5532266 - in reply to #5530225)
Subject: RE: Soil sampling gps recording equipment

Hey Daniel,

I agree the sample requirements is still one of my biggest questions I have about grid sampling. I have held the idea that 15 samples is the sweet spot between accuracy and efficiency. I have another graph that I can't find now which has been the main reason for this belief. This one I posted is similar but not as defined. Shows the same thing this one shows for 20 but shows it at 15. Practically that the accuracy graph doesn't change much higher than 15 but below 15 is very different levels of accuracy. Lucas Haag will often use the graph I am referring to but I can't find it today. Many people say 8 is enough for grids and maybe on 2.5 acre grids that is true. I sample on 5s and so Im running 15 samples per grid. I stop and take 6 from a corner of the grid 6 from the center and 3 from the opposite corner. Making a zig zag across the grids for time savings. This also gives me 3 sampling locations across the grid. I will also take a 24" sample about every 2 grids and every 4 deep cores goes into its own sample bag. Giving me, for a quarter section roughly 12 cores sent into the lab as 3 separate samples. I'm running N, S, Chloride on the deeps and a complete test on the shallow grids. Ive become fairly confident in my soil results doing it this way. Takes more time than most but why do it unless I am confident in the results. I recently built a soil sampling rig which a hydraulic probe using a 98 Suzuki sidekick and after using it earlier this week for the first time I can't believe I hadn't done it sooner.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (19KB - 137 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)