AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just thinking what if?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Town and Country
Posted 8/30/2016 13:58 (#5499494)
Subject: Just thinking what if?

Southern Mn
What if, the years we enjoyed 5-6-and for a time 7 dollar corn was just a "blip" . If I remember right, we slowly built up to around 3,50 here, which at the time seemed like a boon. We must have had a few bad corn years coupled with ethanol expansion, and all of a sudden a never before thought of 5 dollar price was posted leading to 6 and seven. We all kind of went to sleep and overlooked how high inputs were getting because after all, if a farmer is making money, everyone bellies up to the trough to " get theirs". We all bought into the blather about the need to produce more and more as the world needed to be fed.

Fast forward to the last two years, prices keep grinding lower yet the inputs have been slow to adjust as " they" will bleed us until we can't be bled anymore. What I'm getting at is the "BIG RESET" button was pressed and the american farmer had no clue. I have a stinky feeling we are now back to a more new normal with prices, The drought that happened in the big I state was the last time we had a major weather market. Now that every acre that could be planted to row crops is now planted, I feel its going to take a magnificent weather event to move us back to those levels, much bigger than the last drought.

Or? maybe we start pulling back on fertilizer stop planting the biggest and most expensive hybrids, . dont say " you first!" I dont feel its going to be a personal choice with a great many guys whether they do that or not, its going to be a capitol issue or the lack of it, that will cause many to rethink inputs. Then and only then, will production fall back to a level where the market place will need to bid for their needs rather than give us a take it or leave it price.

Unless things change with ethanol being able to ramp up what or who is going to use up all the corn?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)