AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Millennials: Welcome to the 80's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 8/30/2016 14:53 (#5499583 - in reply to #5499093)
Subject: RE: Millennials: Welcome to the 80's

Glasgow, Ky
1983 - drought - 15bpa
1983 - interest rates double digits
1983 - crop insurance - nothing like today

Soooo.....present day situation is nothing like that...if you had a year like that under those circumstances would it have much effect on your operation?

The point many of us older folks are trying to make is take off the rose colored glasses and take an objective time look at what you are doing. I remember my father and grandfather talking about the great depression. It took me years to really understand what they were saying. They saw firsthand what hard times really are. They told me what they did hoping that sometime down the road it would help me. They weren't complaing, just trying to help a young fellow out.

Same here today. We just saw some pretty hard times. We saw good farmers lose everything. It ain't pretty. Families split up, alcohol abuse, suicides, the look in a mans eyes standing and watching his life's work being auctioned off.

I felt the same way many of you feel right now when I was younger. I just ask one thing of you. 30 years from now see if your outlook has changed. What will you be telling the younger farmers? Will the now through the early 20'S be the time you tell them about? Will you better understand why those old farmers back the felt like they did? Only time will tell. Just hope you don't have to go through we did.

Edited by barren 8/30/2016 14:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)