AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

16x50 silo vs bags.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

deere5010
Posted 8/29/2016 12:25 (#5497128)
Subject: 16x50 silo vs bags.

Nebraska
We should be about 50 cows milking going into winter. We have a 16x50 ribstone that we can use. The lining isn't the best and it has steel doors. It's a center fill jamesway unloader with stainless paddles and blower band the auger seems good and it's ring drive. Also has stainless insert in gooseneck/spout.

I have to put a bag out anyhow as I'm looking at putting up 400 tons of corn silage for the year. I was planning on putting a 200x9' bag to use through winter months and then the silo for summer for better feed.

The guy I want to do the bagging only has 8' uni-press or 10' versa baggers.

Landlord says I should just put out 2 bags and be done with it but I think quality feed in summer will be a lot easier to achieve with filling the silo.

If you have steel doors how do you seal them easily? I thought about a bead of silicone or bead of expanding foam around doors.

Other problem I hate heights and no cage out outside ladder so I won't be able to climb it but I can go right up the chute no problems.

What would you do given the current situation?

Benefits I see is that I won't have to worry about frozen silage and messing with silo in winter.

But I hate bags and mud.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)