AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a car garage out of a house.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 8/29/2016 15:02 (#5497378 - in reply to #5496987)
Subject: RE: Making a car garage out of a house.

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
paul the original - 8/29/2016 11:11

olivetroad - 8/29/2016 09:02

roush9799 - 8/29/2016 06:56

Had a big old 2 story house here that we used to fill the downstairs rooms with corn years ago.  Grandpa used to fill it with ear corn, then we filled it with shelled corn for a while before tearing it down.  That was back in the mid- late 80's

We did the same thing with an old two story house that had been built around a log cabin.  Filled that sucker to the roof with ear corn from a hole in the roof.  We chopped holes in the centers of the upstairs bedrooms so it would flow down to the bottom.  Man that was work cleaning it out.

We were getting ready to burn it years later, and I climbed up the narrow twisting kitchen staircase for one last look.  When my head got level with the second story floor, I turned to my right and was about two feet from a coiled up snake that was looking back at me.    I squalled and fell down the stairs, and started slinging gasoline. 

I've done a lot of hard work more time than money; picked ear corn in the crib long after it was t done any more, kinda enjoyed shelling out the crib despite the rats, dust, and shoveling......

But dealing with ear corn in multi levels of multi rooms of a house, man that is going above and beyond! Thanks for sharing. How did you get airflow, open and close the windows? :)

Paul

Hi Paul -

We had nailed scrap pieces of WWII landing mats over the windows after we removed the windows to use in a chicken house. We always fed out the corn stored in the house first as there was spoilage on the west side from rain storms. We had a monkey-wards wagon pulled with a WD Allis that we would pull up alongside the front door and we would scoop out the door into the wagon.

We had a hog pen on the east side of the house with the fence coming clear up to the house wall. Once the level of corn in the upstairs lowered down enough, us kids would climb up the gutters and crawl in a window over the porch. Then we would throw corn down to the hogs from upstairs. Once that was done, the BB guns came out and we would shoot at the trees and things from our crows best.

The old floor was really getting bad before we quit using it, especially the section in the summer kitchen off the back porch. After we burned it, we discovered a huge cistern under that room that was 8ft across. We were lucky we didn't fall through the floor and drown.

I guess we were poor, but we didn't know any better, and we got good at making do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)