AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

After all the wailing & gnashing of teeth, keep in mind....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/28/2016 11:17 (#5494905 - in reply to #5494865)
Subject: RE: on a similar note

Pittsburg, Kansas
Exactly. A few cents a bushel for treatment as it goes into the bin and we have never had any problem. Pick a bin and make sure only dry, good corn goes in. Let that grain be hauled out in winter after a year and a half, with fresh grain in a different reserve bin to replace it.

If everyone did this with 5 or 10%, we would not get the super high grain price spikes that kill demand in low production years and we would raise nearby prices slightly the rest of the years.

You can bet the multinational grain companies would hate it. I doubt over the long run farmer net profit would change much. The slightly higher overall price we would get would be offset by carry costs.

But to me it seems like the responsible thing to do, not only from the standpoint of better controling our own destiny, but from my inherrent Christian view that as a food producer my blessings make me feel having grain in reserve in case of catastrophic crop failure is the humanitarian thing to do also. There is a need for a grain reserve, but I do not want the government doing it.

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)