AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

After all the wailing & gnashing of teeth, keep in mind....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 8/28/2016 07:59 (#5494519)
Subject: After all the wailing & gnashing of teeth, keep in mind....

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
I understand that I will probably be summarily dismissed for saying this but. I've listened to Tara talk about accepting the reality of a huge crop and getting your marketing in order. I've listen to all the talk about cutting costs and decreasing land rents. That this is a multi-year situation. But I would like to just point out that this situation could be fixed in as little as seven or eight months if producers simply reduce their perspective planted acres to 85 million next year. Last year's eighty-nine million would have been just about right for this year. Eighty five million acres x .92 at 170 Bpa is 13.3 billion would trim the carryout back from our 3+ to a manageable 2 billion or less and still given us a comfortable reserve. The price could go back to the $4+/- range and the endusers wouldn't be too offended.
Think about it. Eighty-five million acres is less than 5% less than 89 million acres, 10% less than 95 million. Is it out of the question to ask or expect producers to voluntarily cut back a few acres? Is it really so unreasonable? Is everyone out there in the Midwest so competitive, so afraid that their neighbor might make an extra few bucks that they can't not plant that 20 acres, 50, whatever acres?
I cut back from 50% corn to 30% corn this past year. Planted a little buckwheat. How about it? Is it really too much to expect? I ask you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)