AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till/ No-till Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ZR900
Posted 8/24/2016 13:10 (#5487428 - in reply to #5487348)
Subject: RE: Strip till/ No-till Soybeans

North Central Ia
We have been strip till/no till for about 10 years now. All 30" rows. Strip all ground going to corn in fall (bean stubble and some corn on corn)putting down liquid P&K. Dribble band liquid P&K for ground going to soybeans with floater (corn stalks). Have done some fall strips for soybeans putting on fertilizer in strips, and just making strips to plant on with no real consistent yield advantage for the beans. Have toyed with making spring strips to plant on but time has never seemed to allow for that. I have bought a Great Plains turbo max that I did some fall till, fall/spring till and just a spring pass. First year experiment with that and as of now doubt it will show a yield bump as we had excellent planting and growing conditions. In a tough wet spring I believe it will be an advantage. As to the 15" no till beans I think you will see better/quicker canopy for weed control. However you also raise the possibility of wild mold in beans significantly. This year is a classic for that. Plus I've felt the weight of the 15"/30" planter can be an issue although not as much in strip till/no till because your soil has more structure to it vs tilled ground. Cost of splitter planter is a big issue for me.
I don't run a chopping corn head as I feel the ground drys and warms quicker in the spring with a lesser mat of residue on it. I would not consider going back to full width tillage at this point. I farm a variety of ground from heavy to light, well drained to needing drainage work. I don't kick everyones butt on yield but am on par with the tilled ground in the neighbor hood with far less investment in equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)