AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa fertilizer cost vs gain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/24/2016 08:09 (#5486980 - in reply to #5486930)
Subject: RE: Alfalfa fertilizer cost vs gain

southern MN
Seems best to lay down a 3 year supply of P and K before you seed, work it in. Then hit it with some about the end of the third year if you plan to keep it going the 4 or 5th year.

Surface applied takes longer to work in on its own and show results, so the early build up worked into the ground has the best payoff.

The high production fellas seem to run insecticide and fert a time or two per season around here and their stands don't get thin so much, it must pay off. Depends on your management style.

Soil tests would tell you what you got in your soil, they aren't perfect but I would like an idea if my ground is real low or real high in one or the other nutrient, and then I could spend my fertilizer dollars more better. If you have alfalfa and manure as is typical one can get your ground kind of out of whack if you pull the soil low with alfalfa for many years, and apply manure to the same fields over and over they get high, it's good to keep a handle on what you have going on in the different fields.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)