AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop ideas? soybeans going to seed corn next year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmcdc
Posted 8/16/2016 06:40 (#5471720)
Subject: cover crop ideas? soybeans going to seed corn next year

Fremont, NE
Have two farms that have a normal rotation from soybeans to seed corn every other year. Last year was my first try at cover crops. In my bean field going to seed corn I had Overland winter wheat, crimson clover, and radish flown on and the winter wheat had about a 60-70% stand and the clover/radish didn't do much of anything. I think it was flown on at least a week late and didn't get a rain on it for at least a week after seeding. Field is irrigated but it hadn't been watered yet due to the amount of rain we had and didn't want to knock down beans with tire tracks but looking I should have put some water on to get it germinated asap I think. Flexstar/Warrant was also used post on those beans and learning that anything with metolechlor in it can hurt legume cover crop stands.

This year I want to try covers on two bean fields going to seed corn next year. One field had cereal rye, crimson clover, radish and mustard which had a great stand last year, beans look great this year and didn't have Warrant post this year as the rye cover held back most weeds. The other field of beans did have Flexstar/Warrant as a post this year and has never had cover crop yet so looking for good options for aerial applied covers in soybeans that will be going to seed corn in 2017?

I am trying ARG, crimson clover and radish in my current seed corn going to soybeans next year, those will be flown on tomorrow hopefully!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)