AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain tank full on the far end of the field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wresfar77
Posted 8/7/2016 00:51 (#5455180)
Subject: Grain tank full on the far end of the field

I have often wondered why so many farmers spend so much money on equipment and labor [12 row heads and huge auger wagons and tractors to pull them] just to have everything full on the far end of the field. Two years ago I switched back to a 6 row head and have a large bin extension. I can make a complete round on half mile rows even in 250 bushel corn and the auger cart catches me at the same end as the trucks are parked. I do need to run a little faster but these new heads can handle it with ease. Also on days where the trucks may not be getting back to the field in time I can simply dump off into a truck or cart and keep right on going. This has allowed me to reduce the amount of labor I need to hire . Much of the time I can have pretty high bushel days with just one driver and two trucks. While I watch my neighbors sitting full or hauling huge loads all over the field. I realize if you are a mega farmer you need all the capacity you can get but I have a 1000 acres of corn and typically finish harvest before neighbors with similar size farms who have much more equipment and drivers. Also when I need to change fields I just drive away. no need to have a head transport party even when traveling down the narrowest roads. Any Thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)