AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backup: system image
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hillbilly Techie
Posted 8/6/2016 19:05 (#5454608 - in reply to #5454376)
Subject: RE: backup: system image

You are absolutely right! Create a image at any time when you install new programs or make any other major changes so you can go back to that state should something go bad, put the image in a folder with a simple txt file describing the state of the image, but don't use it as your only backup, you still need to be creating backups of programs and files so you don't have to be restoring an image to get your files back! A good example where an image really shines is if you ever install a clean version of an operating system, install all drivers and update, then create an image, now you can always go back to that state! In desktop pc's it's a good idea to store them on a hdd separate from the os and still back them up on another external hdd, on a laptop I would use a usb 3 drive if it supports it because the images are very large in size!

Edit: I use macrium reflect free to create mine, it can also be used to clone your hdd, which will create a bootable hdd identical to the one you cloned! Another plus about an image is if you have a failing hdd it's the safest bet to get your data off, because it reads the drive perfectly inline, that way the failing arm on drive isn't jumping around looking for the files you're trying to rescue. Unless you have an SSD, then you don't have moving parts... Always use a SSD for the os drive, ALWAYS!

Edited by Hillbilly Techie 8/6/2016 19:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)