AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweet Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

zfisher70
Posted 7/28/2016 14:58 (#5437287)
Subject: Sweet Corn

VA
I am looking for another income source to help me get into farming full time and fill a niche market in my area. I currently have a cow calf operation (small time) and work in town as a salesman. I am kicking around the idea next year of planting about 5 to 7 acres. I have a really good level piece of land that would grow it well ( i have had it in field corn before) what are the economics of what I am talking about. I would do the planting myself with an old 2 row planter, I have a pull type sprayer for a tractor (dont know if it would work) and the local CO-OP and farmer I used to work for custom spray. I have access to good help to pick it all summer long and fairly cheap 8 to 10 bucks an hour cash.

How much cash can a guy look to add to the bottom line retailing sweet corn like this?? I am not looking to get rich just want to cash flow a little better. Would I need more acreage? How many dozen is about average per acre? From what I can tell the average price in my area is 4 to 5 bucks a dozen and add about 2 bucks if it is Non GMO and add some more in the local farmers market if it is organic but im not really interested in the organic end of things at this time.

Would I need to irrigate to grow a good crop? I have grown really good field corn for silage there for 3 consecutive years up till 2 years ago without it. I do have a large creek that borders the field and a good spring I could pull some irrigation from if needed but want to keep costs minimal as possible. Any advice would really be appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)