AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 7/26/2016 10:23 (#5433214 - in reply to #5433159)
Subject: RE: Seed cost

NE Iowa
The seed deals out there are not on leftover or phased out hybrids. The deals are on non-GMO seed from small independent seed companies. Only a few of the very large seed companies have their own R & D and exclusive hybrids. All the other companies buy their inbreds from other companies. That is why you can buy the same corn in 10 different bags in many cases. The $30 per acre comes from Coup buying a semi load of about 5 or 6 non-GMO varieties from a small independent company. I buy from the same company and my early pay, no quantity discount price was right at $100 per bag. Every company has winners and losers. And they change from year to year based on weather and how that hybrid fits your soil conditions and N management. I think if you planted every variety from every company and averaged them together you wouldn't see much difference from one seed company to another. Spending $300+ for a bag of seed may work for some people but in my opinion it is starting in a pretty big hole to dig out of profit wise. Buying a <$100 per bag of non-GMO corn that can hang with anyone and get 200+ bu/acre is a big win. I've planted a lot of Pioneer, DeKalb, and Syngenta over the years. We've also planted at least some corn from this $100 bag independent for over 40 years on our farm. We have had great growing conditions this year but I can get you pics of $100 per bag corn that has 20-22 rows with 40 kernals long at 29k population.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)