AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What type of wood to use - making a backdrop for my house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Lone Cedar
Posted 7/26/2016 21:12 (#5434161 - in reply to #5432637)
Subject: RE: What type of wood to use - making a backdrop for my house

SW Iowa
Are you set on paneling the whole wall, or is something like Forward posted of interest?

If your gf likes modern, I'd see what she thinks of maple... that would be a nice lighter wood that would look nice and contrast with the black TV. If you did something like Forward posted you could possibly do the center section with maple and trim the outside with walnut to help tie things together with the floor and/or entertainment center (if you're going to keep the one pictured).

For more interesting grain, you could look into quarter sawn, or birdseye / quilted / curly maple. I'd guess birdseye/quilted/curly may be cost-prohibitive unless you used sheet goods (so only the veneer part is figured). If the sizing worked to use sheet goods I bet you could do something pretty affordable using figured plywood for the field and then trimming the borders with solid hardwood of whatever type, but you'd be stuck with a flat field so anything interesting would have to come from the grain patterns.

If you have a buddy in mind to do the work, I'd talk to him and see what he thinks. He probably has an idea of sawmills or other places to check locally to get prices for different woods, and knows what tools and capabilities he has at his disposal to make the project work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)