AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I am either stupid or maybe not
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ECILSeedguy
Posted 7/26/2016 08:37 (#5433086 - in reply to #5432916)
Subject: RE: I am either stupid or maybe not

Rossville, IL
To start, you all can see I am a seed guy, but here is my $.02.... My disclaimer, I am not involved in a chemical selling position so this is strictly my opinion.

I understand the concerns of spraying fungicide this year, given the volatility of the grain markets. Everyone is worried about return on investment. In some cases, fungicide cannot be warranted.. I.e. Bad crop conditions, hybrid response, cost per acre, etc... However, in a lot of cases, fungicide is another insurance policy. Some hybrids have a very good response to fungicide with or without disease present. Talk to your seed dealers about each hybrid you plant, trust me, we have the data that shows the answer in most cases. Everything you can do to help the seed produce bpa is a good thing. Most people like to see the "yield bump" with fungicide, personally I hate that term. It's not a "yield bump", it's more like a "yield retainer". If you get smacked with late season disease of any kind, corn that was sprayed will almost always outfield the corn that wasn't. Fungicide is just another tool in the toolbox when it comes to maximizing yield potential. It's right there next to nitrogen, herbicide, insecticide and seed traits. The seed has its greatest potential prior to planting, so do all you can to help ensure the maximum top end will be there at harvest...

As for soybeans, it's shown great potential to easily cover the cost and justify use around my area. I see more and more fungicide being sprayed on soybeans every year!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)