AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row crop rookie, I could use a little feedback
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Indiana80
Posted 7/25/2016 13:20 (#5431592)
Subject: Row crop rookie, I could use a little feedback

This is my place. Right now my small cow calf operation is grazing on the left (orange & red) fields, and I’m rolling their hay on the larger field (blue) to the right.
I’m wanting to transition to a corn/bean rotation. I would do the planting and sync to the crop planted on my family’s 140 acres just below the photo and hopefully get the guys that run it to pick and move it for me.
Right now in a nutshell the plan consists of…
-Clearing the trees on the larger 12 acre field to the right this summer.
-Soil test calls for 4 ton/acre plus potash. (it’s been neglected)
-Tile this winter on 12 acre field. Everything I’ve read indicates this is one the best investments I can make. For hay it’s been okay but I can see it being too wet come next spring.
I have a JD 4010 and an 8ft disk. I’m thinking it could use a chisel plow next spring to break the compaction, plus it’s just a rough field. I think the tile expense would blow my budget for a 4 or 6 row 7000 but I do have a 2 row 30 in Allis that I use for a dove plot etc. I could use the first year. Second pic is 1 acre of corn I planted with it this year. Watching this corn grow is what got me thinking about trying to row crop. I was having such a hard time with weeds in my sunflowers I decided to find some rr corn. I spread 300lbs of triple 19, worked the ground a little, planted and sprayed a few weeks later and its doing pretty good. (Ignore sign btw it isnt legit.)
Next year would be beans so I’m planning on 30 inch inoculated rr beans. Middle 3 acre field could go into it as well.
A few of my concerns are that I have zero experience selecting seed. I’m guessing as small as I am I would just have to take whatever is lying around. Would a seed salesman even give me the time of day?
Second, how do custom harvests typically play out? I pay a per acre price and they give me a check for yield x elevator price that day??? Any reason they might not do it for me?
No, I haven’t actually asked the farmer yet if he will do it. I wanted to educate myself a little more before I approached him.
I’m looking for ideas on what I might not be thinking of at this point and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(farm.png)

(corn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments farm.png (79KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments corn.jpg (152KB - 44 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)