AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When ear size is determined
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 7/23/2016 23:33 (#5428681 - in reply to #5428593)
Subject: read your commentary over on Agronomy

I read your commentary over on Agronomy that you linked.. and pretty much agree.

We plant mostly dryland populations at 17 to 22 k.. while irrigated at mostly 27 to 32.. gradually coming back down over time to about 30.8'ish this year.

The thing for me is to see how much variability we get in the dryland.. in 2009 had a dryland field at.. maybe 20 k do like 184 bu yield.. just a good year.

2 years ago.. pulled a pivot down to like 27 k because worried about amount of irrigation water allocation left.. in the heart of it it was doing 240+.. just like the others at 31 pop.. so like you.. population does not mean as much to me.. as other factors.

.. yes if you get a perfect year.. then More could probably be better.. flip side.. Bad year.. and More.. is just gonna make picking it up off the ground that much funner..

So.. good luck with guessing that.

On our pivots.. I start out at 17.5 on the dryland.. then bumping it up to 22 to 25 k as I get closer to the water.. then run about the 30.8'ish.. last year test plot was 280+

fertility.. water.. diesease pressure.. etc.. less HEAT like now would be a good thing.. occasionally 17.5 ain't enough to hold the heat out.. where higher populations would help but on most of our pop trials.. yield flat lines above a certain level.. but that level is affected by the "niceness" of the year..

and ps.. I am a C word dealer...  

edit to add: there maybe area's that see benefit to super high population drops.. the 36+ pops.. idk..???

but we've pushed yield on the monitor over 300 bu with 32 k or less.. so..???

guys out west in elevation.. routinely push 300 bu yields with around 30 k pops "here."  However one thing that Kansas has as an advantage (and curse..) is the heat.. it's killing me now.. but if we can get into September with a somewhat still lime green plant man we can pack the test weight into it.. with sunlight and pushing gdu's to it..

the last couple of years of irrigated have averaged around 62 tw.. up to as much as 64 on some varieties..  late season grain fill.. healthy plants.. fertility.. moisture and the right conditions..  lol.. whatever that is.

Edited by JonSCKs 7/23/2016 23:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)