AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well I made a stupid mistake. Hy-Vee steak.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chris
Posted 7/21/2016 19:00 (#5424115)
Subject: Well I made a stupid mistake. Hy-Vee steak.

East central Iowa

Normally we get our meat from Fareway.  Last time I bought steaks there I asked them to cut them into 6 ounce sizes and wrap 4 to a package.  The did that happily and carefully without any complaint.

Today Hy-Vee had Angus sirloin steak on sale for $3.99 a pound so we thought we'd stock up for the summer.  I went to the counter a said could I please get 10 pounds and have it cut into 8 ounce pieces.  The "butcher" said oh, we don't do that, the steak on sale is already packaged.  He took me over to the packaged meat and showed me the 3 remaining packages.

I thought they looked okay and assumed they were cut to relatively normal sizes.  So we bought the 3 packages.  When we got it home I discovered it they were packaged to hide the fat which was probably 25% maybe 20% and they were more roast size.  That is, each package contained just one piece of meat.

I split them in half and then cut the halves in half.  The meat inside wasn't the same color as the outside, which apparently was colored to make it look better.

My fault, my mistake.  I won't be buying anymore Hy-Vee sale meat. I'll stick to places that cut meat for you rather than places that sell pre or re packaged meat.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)