AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DISH TV Remotes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/1/2016 06:44 (#5384851)
Subject: DISH TV Remotes

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a DISH VIP722 receiver in my living room. It is connected to a fairly fancy Sharp TV via an HDMI cable. I also have a CoAx cable going down the basement and back up in the kitchen to feed a small cheap TV there.

I had two remotes. The one in the living room which was an IR (Infrared Only) and the one in the Kitchen was a UHF model. Both remotes worked with the DISH system and also their respective TVs.

Some time ago, the one in the living room started to act strangely and I got a new one from DISH. More recently the replacement one started to act strangely. Some buttons would take on the functions of other buttons. After trying two different universal remotes from Wal-Mart, I gave up and ordered one online.

The one I ordered used firmware 20.1 where as the one it was replacing was firmware 21.1. It worked with the DISH system but I couldn't get it to program for the Sharp TV. I went to the DISH website and tried again. I finally gave up and called DISH Tech support. The lady said that they couldn't guarantee that the remote would work with all brands of TVs. I could understand that but my oldest Remote (5.3) and the former living room unit (21.1) used to work with the Sharp TV. It seemed strange to me that the version 20.1 couldn't work since an older and a newer one did.

I then ordered another remote online. This time I ordered a firmware version 21.1 since that version worked in the past. I couldn't get it to program for the TV either.

Finally I bought four new batteries and tried again after sleeping on it. I had been moving working batteries to the new remotes when I tested them. I tried the code I had circled that worked for the oldest remote and the programming "took" as the TV Mode button flashed after I entered the code. It still would not control the Sharp TV. I tried the next code number in the list and EUREKA it worked.

My problem was then solved but being curious, I then tried the 20.1 remote that I had tried before with new batteries, I was able to program it and it worked. I then put yet another set of batteries in the remote that I was trying to replace at the start of the project. It appears to work properly now also. Finally I ran across the oldest remote that I had ever used with the Sharp TV. More new batteries and you guessed it, that one seems to work properly now also.

So yesterday morning I had one remote working the way I wanted it to. That one still works fine in the kitchen but I now have four working remotes in the living room. So the moral of this whole story is: If you have problems try NEW batteries first. I have concluded when the batteries run low, the remotes start doing strange things rather than just quitting altogher. I'm also of the opinion that it must take more battery power to program a remote than it does to actually use it once it is programmed.

The other strange thing is that the older gray remote uses code 740 for the Sharp TV while the newer black ones use 741 for the same TV. Again when having problems try NEW batteries first. I know that seems rather obvious but would have saved me lots of frustration. Oh well, now when I lose the remote in the couch, I can just grab another one until it reappears.

Edited by tedbear 7/2/2016 05:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)